I have been a vegetarian my whole life. Needless to say, up until I met my husband and actually cared enough about cooking good food for someone, I never cooked a real meat meal. Not chicken, not hamburgers, not roast, not even a piece of bacon. Since meeting him, the times I have cooked meat can probably be counted on my fingers. We have known each other for almost three years.
The first time I cooked him dinner I used a recipe I got from a Relief Society cookbook. It was honey mustard chicken. Never having cooked meat before, I didn't really know what I was doing. I followed the recipe, but I didn't want to make the sauce too overpowering. Of course I wasn't going to taste it before I served it to him, so I just assumed it was good and put it on the table. I could tell from his face that something was wrong, but, like a good boyfriend, he ate it. I later found out that it was terrible. The worst thing I have ever cooked for him.
Since that incident, I have tried making chicken a few other times. What usually happens is that I don't thaw it long enough and it burns on the outside before cooking on the inside. I have also tried to make a roast, but it always ends up way too dry. Even I know it looks disgusting. I guess that is just the curse of being an herbivore cooking or a carnivore.
Instead of this:
I serve this:
My poor husband. So tonight, I cooked him bruschetta chicken. Sounds easy enough, and I thought I was really going to get it right this time. But sadly, I had the thawing problem again, combined with the fact that it wasn't too delicious (according to him). One day I will master the art of carnivorous cooking, but until then, we can just eat pasta and cupcakes :)


No comments:
Post a Comment