Let me just begin by saying that I LOVE the Olympics. I don't care if it's Winter or Summer, I love the Olympics. It all started when my friend Katie Russell and I watched the Sydney Olympics in 2000 on her kitchen wall with a projector. I loved the competition and the intensity and getting to see people from all countries.
Then in 2002 my parents took my sister and I to the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. We got really into collecting the pins, and we got to see a few events. I remember watching speed skating, men's ice hockey, and ice dancing. It was super cool to be there surrounded by people from all over the world who just wanted to support their country and enjoy being there. There was a lot of security, but it was really fun to have the chance to be there.
I don't remember much about the games in between those, but my love of the Olympics carried through. And now, we have the London Olympics going on. And let me tell you, I LOVE them. From the Opening Ceremony (Kenneth Branaugh, James Bond and the Queen, JK Rowling, AND Voldemort?) to each event, I love them.
I think one of my favorite parts about the Olympics is seeing people achieve their dreams. These people work all their lives to get to this point, and even just having the opportunity to compete is something they have dreamed about. When they win or even just qualify for events, I tear up thinking about how exciting it is for them. I'm sure they've never been happier in their lives. And of course they also show the parents of the people who win and they are super happy and proud and you know that it's all been worth it for them.
Of course the flip side of that is when they don't make it, they are completely crushed. For example, last night Jordan Wieber was going to qualify for the all-around until Aly Raisman beat her in floor and she got pushed down. It was so sad. She just broke down and of course, after crying tears of happiness for Aly, I shed a few tears of sadness for Jordan. And the worst part was that they kept showing her crying and trying to compose herself, which she had a hard time doing.
I LOVE the Olympics. Even the stinking promos and commercials make me cry. Right before gymnastics last night they had one and I don't even remember what it was about, but it was so sweet and I was so excited for them that I got all teary. It was ridiculous.
So, long story short, I think the Olympics are amazing. Athletes coming from all over the world to meet people from other countries and compete in what they are best at. It's amazing, and beautiful, and even though I realize that they aren't all friends and they want to beat each other, it still is one of my favorite things.



No comments:
Post a Comment