Friday, July 05, 2013

Let Freedom Ring

Happy Fourth of July! Not only is today my day's 72nd birthday (happy birthday, Daddy!), but it was also Jameson's first Fourth of July!

Even though this wasn't our first fourth away from Provo, I still miss how much fun Provo is on the night of the third and on the fourth. Our second date was actually on the third of July four years ago, and Dan and I rode around in scooter gangs and walked up and down University all night. I don't think the date ended until like three or four a.m. It was so fun and I knew he was going to be special :)

So this year, we wanted to make sure we did some fun things and had a good time out in Iowa. On the night of the third, we went to the West Des Moines Parade. It was pretty fun! There were a lot of cool floats and tractors and cars and everyone handed out candy to kids. This also meant that we got a few sweet treats, which I definitely enjoyed. Jameson enjoyed watching everything go by, but he did not enjoy when the fire trucks would honk their horns or when the ambulances would do their sirens. But other than that, he did really good.

On the actual Fourth of July, we went to a fun barbecue our friends were hosting. We got some delicious skewers and desserts and we got to swing on a rope swing that was a little scary. Dan definitely did better at it than I did, because I needed his help getting down. It was a really fun little get-together.

In the evening we took Jameson to a park to see the fireworks! We brought some dinner and then got funnel cakes while we were there. We went a few hours early so we just hung out with our friends and Dan got to play some ball. There was a live band (not so good, though) and we had ideal spots away from the crowd, but still great for the fireworks. I was pretty worried that he wasn't going to like it because of the loud booms, but he actually fell asleep like 10 minutes before they started and then slept through them! We were really close, too, and so they were actually shot up right in front of (and some looked like they were right above us). I don't know if I'd ever been that close to fireworks before, but they were really pretty and lasted over 30 minutes. We were definitely in Iowa, though, because the music was like songs from the 70s and 80s that had the word America in them. I was anticipating Katy Perry's "Firework" song, but no bueno I guess. It was really fun, though! We had a great night.

And now for the lovely picture dump of all our fun festivities.




 

















No comments:

Post a Comment