Wednesday, January 18, 2012

getting rid of shoes.

Today it rained. Now on most days, that would be totally fine and dandy. However, today I wore my favorite pair of old shoes. As I was walking through puddles on my way to my car, the sad truth finally hit me: I need to get rid of these shoes.

Let me explain why this is not okay. Christmas of 2010, my husband got me a wonderful pair of cute, stylish, casual shoes. They were so cute when he bought them for me, and I loved them so much that I wore them every day. This is what they looked like when he first got them for me:


One year and one month later, after wearing them almost every day, my poor little shoes have walked many miles. They have endured sweaty feet, cobblestone sidewalks, and muddy roads. And they have finally given up:




They have holes in the bottoms and sides, are no longer black and white but grey and tan, and have ratty laces that make me feel like I need to wash my hands every time I tie them. Unfortunately for me, this makes them even more lovable and hard to get rid of. Last night on Last Man Standing, they talked about how women don't want to get rid of shoes because they think that the very next day, those are the shoes that they are going to need. And yes, I am suffering from this way of thinking. This is not a recent development. I feel the same way about my green and brown Coach sneakers, which I still have hanging in my closet even though I only wear them a few times a year. I also felt the same way about my black flats, even though I bought new black flats that were nicer and more durable. Even though I had a very similar replacement pair, I did not want to get rid of these shoes for months because they had sentimental value (I wore them in our engagement pictures!).

This disease is heart-wrenching, and as I face a dilemma about what to do with this lovable, dirty, ratty pair of shoes, I am not sure what to do. Lucky for me, I can keep them in our large walk-in closet for the next four months until we move. Maybe then I will feel slightly better about what I inevitably have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment