Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I guess I really am grown up...

Today Becca asked me if I ever just stop and think about how grown up I am. I don't, so the question actually made me think about it. It's weird because I don't feel like anything in particular has really made me feel like I am grown up. It's more like things have just gotten progressively more grown up. I didn't feel like graduating high school or getting married or even graduating college made me grown up. Moving to a new state where we didn't know anyone didn't even really make me feel like I was officially an adult. Getting pregnant didn't make me feel that way either. It's more like all these things combined make me realize that I really am an adult now. When I was younger, 23 sounded so old. I remember the first time we had a babysitter who was in high school and I thought she was so old. Now I look at high schoolers and I think they are so young and small! It's really weird to actually realize this. I guess it's true, because being married, being pregnant, and living in a state far away from your family actually are indicators of being an adult, but I've never thought about it that way. It's strange to me that I am qualified to substitute and even teach a little bit for middle and high schoolers. My calling at church is in the young women. I'm not one of them, I'm an advisor, which feels strange but I love. I don't even have homework to do anymore, which strikes me as odd after years of having homework. You always think people younger than you are young and people older than you are old, but you never really think of yourself as being one or the other. You just sort of are. And where I am, I am very, very happy.


1 comment:

  1. Haha Chels I feel this way all the time. So crazy that so much has happened, but you are right, I don't feel "old" or way "young". Just feel like me! Which is a good way to feel:) Glad you guys are doing well!!!

    ReplyDelete