Wednesday, September 05, 2012

My First Two Days as a Substitute Teacher

I have officially started my new job of substitute teacher here in Iowa. Yesterday and today were my first days, and they were both very good.

On Monday night, I told Dan that the worst possible scenario for me would be to teach a physics class on my first day. Why, you ask? I have never taken physics! So I get to the high school and walk to the room and guess what. Right there on the door it says "Physics." Trying not to panic, I went inside and thankfully, discovered that there was a student teacher who would be teaching both periods of physics class. Yay! So I pretty much just sat there for three hours while the student teacher reviewed scientific notation and some other thing I can't remember but understood what it was from chemistry classes. Overall, it was great and I got paid very well. I was very tired when I got home though! Not waking up early for a few months has taken its toll apparently.

Today I had my second day as a substitute teacher, and I got to be in charge of three class periods of seventh grade math. The teacher left an amazing lesson plan, so I had no problem teaching at all. The first two periods were algebra, and the students just took a quiz, copied some notes, and then did their homework. Way easy for me to sit there and supervise. I even was able to answer questions the kids had about their quiz and homework, which made me feel good considering I haven't had a real math class since junior year of high school seven years ago. The third class was a bit different, though. It was a pre-algebra class, and we had a few problems. I got through what they were supposed to do and I actually got to stand up in front of the class and do some problems on the board, but they finished their homework rather quickly and had about twenty minutes before class was left with nothing else left to do. This was a problem because not only did they have a hard time sitting in their seats and being quiet, a group of boys started making sticky note paper airplanes and throwing them around. I eventually took away the sticky notes, but I still had to tell the class like five times to sit in their seats and work on other work. It was rough. I think the fact that they probably had to be there rather than they were good at math and in the advanced class made it harder for them to pay attention. There were a few kids who were being good though, including one kid who told me that some cats like to stretch their legs out like people when they sleep. Interesting.

I definitely am glad that I chose to be a substitute teacher, because I have enjoyed it so far and math and science are my least favorite subjects.


1 comment: