Next Wednesday is the last time my favorite baseball player will ever take the field.
In third grade, we had a girl in our class named Tiffany Armstrong. Her dad, Dave Armstrong, was an announcer for the relatively new MLB team, the Colorado Rockies. My whole class was lucky enough to get to take a tour of the new Coors Field. The part I remember most was getting to go in the Rockies dugout and see what the players see every game: a field perfect for winning a game on. From that day, I was a fan.
In 1998, Todd Helton became the full-time starter for the Colorado Rockies. He was dreamy. He was an incredible, new player, and everyone loved to talk about him.
My dad worked downtown, so every once in a while he would take my sister, my mom, and me to Rockies games. I had played softball, so one day I brought my glove so we could try and get some autographs. I of course got the dinosaur mascot, Dinger, to sign my glove, but the one signature I really cared about was Todd Helton's. Lucky for me, he signed my glove. From that day, Todd Helton was my favorite baseball player.
I liked the Rockies, but I loved Todd Helton. I didn't follow baseball much until I moved to Boston for college. In October 2007, the Colorado Rockies made it to the World Series for the first time ever. They swept both the Phillies and the Diamondbacks, and then they were up against the Boston Red Sox. Watching baseball in my dorm with my roommate Cara was the only thing that kept me happy while I was in Boston. Before the World Series was over, I moved home. The Rockies were swept by the Red Sox, and the season was over. But my love for Todd Helton was rekindled again.
The next summer, I went to a Rockies game at Coors Field with a youth group from church. I was lucky enough to get a picture with Todd, and he even put his arm around me. I thought that was the best game I had ever been to.
I went away to college in the fall, and hung up a poster of Todd in my room. The next summer, my mom and sister and I flew out to San Diego to see the Rockies take on the Padres for my birthday. My sister and I got dressed up in our favorite Rockies gear and made signs to show our support for our team. We got there early and went down to the first base line and started cheering as our Rockies were practicing. My sign caught Todd's attention and he came over, handed me a ball, signed my Rockies Magazine cover (which featured him), and took a picture with me. We won the game and I thought that was the best game I had ever been to.
That summer I was starting a new class at school. The very first day, I wore a Rockies shirt. Because I wore that shirt, I met a boy named Dan who eventually became my husband. I don't think we would have met or gotten along so well if he hadn't known I liked the Rockies or baseball. And I probably wouldn't have worn that shirt if it hadn't been for my love of Todd. So thank you Todd Helton. Because of you, my husband had the courage to talk to me.
Last year we moved from Utah to Colorado to Iowa. In March, our first son was born. We considered giving him the middle name "Helton," but eventually went for the traditional pass-down-the-father's-name-middle-name. I even made a Rockies collage with the number "17" included so that our son could have my favorite player's number in his room.
In June my family of three came out to Colorado for three days. I made it clear that we had to take our new baby to a Rockies game so he could see Todd play. I wanted Todd to be his favorite player, too. I wasn't able to get a good picture of Todd with our son because there were some little boys trying to get his autograph and I thought it was more important for them to meet Todd. But I did manage to get one shot with Todd in the background. It was a fun game, even though our baby didn't like the cheering, and I was glad we were able to catch a game that Todd played in.
On Sunday I found out that Todd Helton had announced his retirement from baseball. I knew it was coming for the last few years, but it still made me sad. Yes, I have cried a few times about it, and yes, I am incredibly disappointed I won't ever get to see him play baseball again, but I just want to thank him for what he has done for the Rockies, for baseball, and for me. I will never have another favorite baseball player (besides my husband) and I will never cheer louder than I did for you. I am sad that my son won't get to grow up watching you play, but I will tell him what an amazing player you were. Thank you for sticking around with the Rockies for 17 years. Thank you for being the face of the Rockies for 17 years. Thank you for being our first baseman and friend for 17 years. It's going to be hard to see someone else take over your spot next year. If it were up to me (and every other Rockies fan), you'd be in the Hall of Fame next year. I hope they retire your jersey, because nobody else will ever be our #17.
Next Wednesday when you take the field for the last time, remember how much you have done for me and for thousands of other Rockies fans. It's going to be hard to say goodbye, but we still have the memories.
Thanks Todd.




No comments:
Post a Comment